Health IT Specialist ProgramNotify Me When Available
Career Level:Entry level
Due to unexpectedly high demand for this program, we have already met our enrollment capacity and any new applicants will be waitlisted.
This program is provided by Coursera with content created by Johns Hopkins University and Google. It will provide the learner with the knowledge and skills relevant to the role of a Health IT Specialist, specifically in the roles of the Help Desk Analyst and End User Computer Support. The program will take 5-7 months to complete and once passed, the student with receive a Google IT support specialist Comp TIA A+ Certification.
Help Desk Analyst
Help Desk staff process electronic requests to resolve IT issues in a healthcare setting. Their job is to triage tickets and route them to the appropriate resource to be resolved. They need to be familiar with the ticketing system and the work queues of the IT teams. Having knowledge of common problems and which IT member may best be positioned to resolve these problems, is an important skill of a Help Desk Analyst.
End User Computer Support Specialist
The End User Computer Specialist supports the hardware and software tools for computer users throughout the healthcare system. This may include workstation equipment, operating systems, software applications, printers, peripheral devices, tablets, and mobile phones. There are also a number of devices such as clinical bar code readers, vital sign monitoring equipment, credit card readers, electronic signature devices, cameras, network devices, and other healthcare related equipment which people in this role need to be able to deploy, maintain, and repair.
Length of Study
8-10 months, self-directed learning
After completing the Health IT Specialist program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the healthcare system as it related to IT support
- Describe the common roles played by IT support staff in healthcare
- Identify at least 5 different healthcare settings in with IT support staff work
- List the common tools and technologies used in healthcare delivery
- Identify the types of healthcare professionals you will be supporting
- Ensure timely issue resolution and escalations including the deployment, configuration, maintenance, and repair support for connectivity, access, application/service, operating system, and related hardware requests within established standards and guidelines
- Interact with numerous technology platforms and solutions in a diverse client environment
- Maintain logical and physical networks containing HPE, Dell, VMware, Meraki, and APC devices
- Provide support of Microsoft products that include AD account management, Office 365 products, Office Suite, and Microsoft Teams
- Analyze infrastructure monitoring alerts and takes corrective actions, as necessary
- Ensure that monitoring alert response and completion times are minimized
- Work with Client associated vendors to resolve technical issues with supported hardware and applications on Network Administration, Hardware Support, and Connectivity
- Implement established project plans within a team
- Deploy technology in a server room
- Determine technical solutions for business needs based on End User requests while onsite
- Support the hardware and software tools for end users in a healthcare system including workstation equipment, windows operating systems, software applications, printers, peripheral devices, tablets, mobile phones, clinical bar code readers, electronic signature devices, cameras, network devices
Asynchronous, self-directed learning
IT Help Desk Technician, Service Desk Agent
In recognition of the impact of the pandemic on our communities, Futuro Health is waiving tuition fees for all programs in 2020.
Non-refundable registration fee: $100 per certificate program
Monthly membership for education and training: $20/month (see details below)
Note: This membership is waived for SEIU-UHW members
Approximately 10,000 for Help Desk and approximately 400-1105 positions for Healthcare End User Computer Support Specialist in the U.S. for those with an internship or some practical experience.
Hospital, Clinic, Home
The Health IT Help Desk Analyst:
- Takes action to close the ticket during the phone call with the customer
- Has the ability to remotely log into a user’s system, suggest a software upgrade, grant access to a piece of software, perform a password reset, or make a minor configuration change
- Understands the flow of work in a healthcare setting with a sensitivity to confidential data, criticality of equipment operation to patient care (in order to appropriately classify the severity of incoming problem tickets), and awareness of how various roles use computers in their work
- Documents a problem accurately and appropriately thoroughly in ticketing system
- Prioritizes and triage tickets quickly
The End User Computer Support Specialist:
- Troubleshoots hardware and software tools for end users
- 18 years of age or older
- Have the ability to work in the U.S.
- Be a California resident
- Have no felony conviction on record
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Be computer and internet proficient
- Have home access to reliable high-speed internet
- Have a working computerless than 7 years old
- Be willing to commit 3 hours per day (estimated at 15 hours per week) of study time
- Attention to detail, organized
- Problem solving capabilities
- Experience setting up a home network
- Experience installing computer hardware
- Experience installing computer software
- Experience helping people fix technology related issues
- Experience with operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows
- MAC OS
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- Be referred by a member of SEIU-UHW who is in good standing (if you are not already a member of SEIU-UHW.